Saturday, 1 August 2015

Breakfast in America? Fat chance!

I recently paid my first visit to the U.S. - and what a visit it was! Boston, Charlotte, San Francisco, Monterey, Cambria, New York - fantastic sights and experiences.
But one thing marred my trip - the terrible food on offer at breakfast in hotels and motels big and small for someone who is gluten intolerant.
I got soggy scrambled egg, rubbery slices of what I suppose was meant to be omelette, cold hard boiled eggs (stored in ice water!), and finally in some places there were no eggs at all and nothing that I could eat!
Have a look at some of the high and low points of my 'Breakfasts in America!'
Early morning in beautiful Boston. A definite high point.
The worst breakfast of the entire trip - rubber omelette in Half Moon Bay! Thank goodness for some bacon - the only saving grace!
Nothing apart from an orange that I could eat on this morning in Monterey. But I forgive Monterey, because that's also where I saw this beauty! Whale watching was an incredible experience!

Cambria and it was a continuing breakfast sob story! How lovely - ice cold hard boiled eggs! I had to take these back to my room, mash them up and microwave them with some butter to make them edible!
Oh oh! Back to just an orange in San Francisco!
New York was slightly more promising - the scrambled egg was quite nice the first morning and there was this 'bacon' which bore a most unpleasant resemblance to Spam! Sadly following mornings produced luke warm scrambled eggs with absolutely nothing else I could eat.
I'm glad I had seeing this lady to look forward to after that breakfast
If you're heading to the U.S. and like me you have any dietary issues, I'd advise you to either take a supply of nuts everywhere you go, or prepare to give up breakfast altogether!

No comments:

Post a Comment